August 3, 2012 by Jamar Jones
Many W&M students are always on-the-go … busy doing one thing or the other … but I am here to encourage everyone to have a seat. I must say there is nothing more fulfilling than just getting outdoors and taking a seat somewhere on campus in order to enjoy the scenery of W&M. I have found that I am able to relax and reflect on the day’s events when I allow myself to simply take a moment to sit down at various locations on our beautiful campus.
At the Grind…
Whether you are inside or out of the Daily Grind … treat yourself to a smoothie or a cup of coffee while you read a good book or catch up with a few friends. Something about the environment of our on-campus café is immensely therapeutic and worth the sit if you ask me.
At the Terrace…
Certainly an amazing location, right in the heart of campus on the Sadler Center Terrace. You can come outside to enjoy your meal or even people watch (I know it sounds a little strange but it is one of my favorite past times … wow, I guess that is still strange and slightly creepy … please, no judgement.).
At the Sundial…
The beautiful shrubbery … amazing academic buildings … and our precious Swem library all await you at the Sundial. It is one of my favorite places to go on campus in the evening to make those phone calls home to friends and family. I can never figure it out, but it certainly is one of my main go-to locations when I’m phoning home.
At the Garden…
Any of the steps will do at the Sunken Garden early at night. Just sit with a few of your friends or by yourself and simply relax. It is such an amazing environment to be in. The Sunken Garden truly makes me appreciate W&M because it is one of the key landmarks here on campus that has the ability to bring the entire community together.
With that said … take a moment, and a seat, and simply relax while at the Green and Gold.
July 16, 2012 by Jamar Jones
Everyone knows that as the second-oldest institution in the country William and Mary has been offering its student body amazing resources and benefits since 1693.
So, just as a refresher … here is a list of a few of the resources and benefits that as a member of the Tribe you really should take advantage of.
- The REC Center - Health and fitness are extraordinarily important factors to our lives … this is where the REC Center comes in! State of the art equipment, swimming pools, racquet ball courts, and even a rock-climbing wall are all at students’ disposal. Everyone gets busy throughout the year, but there is always time for personal fitness. You can even sign up for some of the intense but fun fitness classes, such as Boot Camp, to make sure you are a Tribe member feeling your best!
- Writing Resource Center - Be good to yourself and go get your paper edited at the WRC. No matter if you are at the brainstorming phase or with a complete rough draft. The WRC consultants are well-equipped to make sure you are turning in top-notch work.
- Dodge Room - Many are unaware of the greatness which is the Dodge Room. Located in-between Phi Beta Kappa and the Muscarelle, the Dodge Room accepts meal swipes and offers some other delicious treats. My favorite meal … Chili, Baked Lay’s Chips, Cookies or Fruit (depends on my mood), and an Aquafina water bottle. It could be yours too.
- Cohen Career Center - The future is important. Please drop in to the Career Center for some career counseling and advice for resumes, internships, and so much more. Do yourself a favor … the future is waiting.
- FREE MASSAGE CHAIRS - All I have to say is FREE. MASSAGE. CHAIRS. Located on the first floor of Swem. Yeah … I think that sums it all up.
- Cheese Shop Discount - Even though the Cheese Shop is located in Colonial Williamsburg it is still a vital staple for the W&M community. On Wednesdays, the Cheese Shop offers discounts to all W&M students.
- UNO’s - Did you know the local Uno’s Chicago Grill delivers on campus? Sometimes we have to take a break from our regularly scheduled Wawa diet.
Ladies and Gentlemen these are just 7 of the many opportunities and benefits here at W&M … Tribe we have to Wake Up and Pay Attention because the options at the College are endless.
June 27, 2012 by Jamar Jones
Being a member of the Tribe has certainly been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, as well as being amongst the legion of devoted Janet Jackson fans. Random? Maybe so. But in my eyes, there is not a single thing random about this pairing. In actuality, since becoming a member of the Tribe in the fall of 2009, I have become a more dedicated fan to Ms. Jackson.
I hope you (yes, you reading this blog) are not concerned about me potentially being a star crazed, obsessed fan … really … I’m okay! I’m proud to say that you are reading my very first blog on the William and Mary website, and the only way I can embark on this blogging journey is to be honest and simply myself. One of my all-time favorite past-times here at the College is to take long walks around the campus and Colonial Williamsburg (CW) while listening to the ‘Essential Janet Jammin’ playlist on my iPod (catchy title right?). I cannot express how great it feels to walk around my beautiful campus listening to my favorite artist. It’s the perfect escape after a long day of work or even when I have received some of the best news of the week. I think we all need to have that one special go-to activity that is just for ourselves.
Something about the atmosphere of W&M relaxes me so much. I like to stroll past the Sunken Garden and often notice students playing a game of Ultimate Frisbee or relaxing and reading as I jam to “Rhythm Nation”. And I always take the time to stop and say hello to friends on the Sadler Center terrace while listening to a Janet classic such as “The Pleasure Principle”. I can honestly say, as I walk it makes me proud to attend the institution that I do, because while listening to Janet I see what an amazing student body we have. I am very much a people watcher (in the healthiest of manners of course), and on my many musical walks I notice how talented and gifted everyone is in their own unique way. It’s refreshing to be reminded that there is the opportunity here at W&M to meet individuals from all walks of life. Whether I am walking past Swem with “I Get Lonely”, or the Crim Dell with “That’s the Way Love Goes” or even the Rec Center with “Control”, William and Mary’s beauty never ceases to excite me or make me appreciate my campus that much more.
And one of the greatest benefits to campus is the location of CW. I swear nothing makes my day like going to get a hot mug of Cider while my favorite Janet Jackson song plays in my ear. It may seem strange to some, but it makes me happy. I usually like to wrap up my Janet playlist by the time I return back to the historic Wren building, and as of late “Love Will Never Do (Without You)” has been my end choice of song … but it is always changing.
As I begin my last year here at the College, I know for sure just walking around the campus daily will personally be something I greatly miss. The College has so much to offer, and I am grateful that I have taken advantage of the many amazing opportunities. It is hard to say the things we know for certain in life, but I can confidently say that my love and devotion for Janet Jackson and the Tribe aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.