William and Mary

W&M Blogs

Admission Committee
Admit It!

True Confessions from W&M's Admission Officers

About  Posts

Overheard in Committee — The Throes of Laughter

March 20, 2013 by

We Admit It!  Committee can wear on us.  We’re human, and this is a very human process.  Committee can make us tired, frazzled, bleary-eyed, and yes, even a little giggly.  The giggles come from a combination of exhaustion, joy in our work, joy in each other’s company, and the sugar ingested from the now totally cleaned out bag of trail mix, the over 40 chocolate-covered granola bars eaten, the full box of Wheat Thins that bit the dust, the now opened pretzels filled with peanut butter (we’ll eat anything at his point) and the totally demolished bag of M&Ms.

Overheard in Committee today: obnoxiously loud laughter

Don’t worry.  We weren’t laughing at any applicant; we were laughing at ourselves.  Likely many of you have seen the previews for the new Tina Fey-Paul Rudd movie Admission.  Well, this past summer at our annual staff retreat, we were each asked to submit the name of an actor or actress who we would have play ourselves in a movie.  Assistant Dean Kevin Cutro picked Paul Rudd.  Associate Dean Kim Van Deusen selected Tina Fey.  Assistant Dean Justine Okerson had a great idea.  It resulted in the photo below.

Life imitating art imitating life

Life imitating art imitating life

She then took that photo around to our Committee meetings and we all burst out laughing.  We laughed in part because the picture couldn’t be cuter.  We laughed in part because when art imitates life it can be amusing.  We laughed because we’ve spent the past month spending hours upon hours together, and we’re reminded that while this task is an incredibly serious one, we don’t take ourselves too seriously.  We laughed because we are a personable, outgoing and at times goofy group who enjoys each other’s company.  And we laughed because we admittedly are a little over tired.

This will be the last “Overheard in Committee” blog of the 2012-2013 freshman admission cycle.  Now before everyone asks, no we don’t yet have a release date.  Once our Committee deliberations wrap up later this week, we still have to double check all of our decisions, print and sign letters to those who will be admitted (yes Dean Broaddus signs each individual offer of admission), stuff those thick envelopes and queue up the emails.  We truly will not know when we will email decisions until we’re ready to hit the proverbial send button.  When that moment comes we will release our “Decisions, Decisions” blogs.  Please be patient with us.  It shouldn’t be too much longer.

Wendy Livingston ’03, M.Ed. ‘09
Associate Dean of Admission

100 Comments

• Yiran Hu says:

I just want to ask that will the decision of the Joint Program be released at the same time of the regular decisions?

• Admit It! says:

@Yiran, that’s a bit of a complicated answer that will be addressed in the Decisions, Decisions blog (posted when decisions are released). So stay tuned.

• Mollie says:

Any chance of decisions today, or definitely not?

• Admit It! says:

@Mollie, we promise as soon as we know you’ll know. We just avoid speculating because we don’t want to fail to deliver on any kind of promise or expectation.

• George says:

Please!!!! Just a simple “yes” or “no.” We are DYING here.

• George says:

I have been kicked out of two classes this week for continually checking my phone. I can see it now…I will be accepted and then W&M will rescind after I fail AP Chem for having missed too many classes!

• Admit It! says:

@George, there is no simple answer. If there was, we would give it to you. Please don’t die on us. We have always set the expectation that it will be by April 1 and we stand by that. If we can release earlier we will but no one wants decisions released before they are ready. That’s when mistakes happen and no one wants that. Also, we already noted that we don’t release decisions during the school day so there’s no need to check your phone while in class. And out of curiosity, did other schools give you a heads up about a release date or did they just get released?

• George says:

The Ivies told us that the decision would be available at 5:00 PM this Thursday. Several others also announced the time and date. To your point, my girlfriend applied to Fordham and was told the decisions would be available at 9:00 AM yesterday, but they were delayed until the afternoon.

• Sam says:

@Admit It!, some have given heads up, such as Brown University (email saying 3/28, 6:30pm). Most however, do not.

• Admit It! says:

@George and @Sam, thanks for the feedback. We figured some give a heads up and others don’t. Again, we don’t not to be cruel or to keep anyone in the dark, we just don’t want to set a release date and then be ready to release early and surprise everyone and we don’t want to set one and not meet it. So we simply wait ’til we hit the button and then let people know. We feel this is the most fair way to do it and we appreciate everyone’s patience.

• Zoe says:

I got deferred from early decision and I have been waiting since November for this decision!!! I am so anxious about this whole process! Can’t wait to hear back from you guys.

• George says:

@admit it, I prefer yellow roses ;-}
    Thank you for talking with us, As far as I know, W&M is the only school that blogs with applicants.

• Admit It! says:

@Zoe, we know the wait feels eternal. We are doing our best to complete our process with all due haste.

@George, yellow roses? Are we too brain fried to get your joke? (That’s entirely possible). We’re glad the blog is helpful. We really appreciate all the great back and forth it provides.

• George says:

Sorry for being too obtuse. I wrote that we were dying, hence the yellow roses quip.

• George says:

Last post….asked to leave Calc…I need a stealth communicator.

• Admit It! says:

@George, haha. Got it now. And yes, put your phone away. We promise you won’t miss anything during the school day.

• Mollie says:

poor george…im glad i’ve been on spring break last week and this week or my head would have exploded (and my phone permanently confiscated)

• Admit It! says:

@Mollie, haha. We do ask everyone, please don’t sacrifice your grades or personal record for a decision email. How does that old slogan go, “Be cool, stay in school” — or something like that!

• Pins and Needles Mom says:

Princeton is releasing on March 28th after 5pm

• Alum says:

I think a lot of the frustration is coming from the fact that everyone believes every other VA school has released the info. I don’t know this is fact, but it is perception. I do know JMU, UVA and VaTech have all released their decisions.

• Deferred says:

Where exactlly will you post a date/time that you will notify us by? Should I check the blog religiously or will it appear on a website? I know when I was deferred before there wasn’t really a heads up it was just on the Friday before the deadline. Thank you!

• Admit It! says:

@Alum, we are aware that many other VA public schools have released decisions. However, their processes are very different from ours especially in terms of the length of their Committee processes. No one process is better than any other it’s just ours tends to take a bit longer. If memory serves, they also released a few days before us last year.

@Deferred, we don’t post a time/date, we simply update the blog, social media, website, etc. when we hit the proverbial send button. However, there’s no need to check all the time. Checking once a night will likely do the trick.

• Wondering says:

Since you asked, Duke also gave a release date (tomorrow) and time, but I agree with you that it is better to allow yourself the option of releasing early if you are able. After all, we all want to know as soon as humanly possible! We did really appreciate it yesterday, however, when you let everyone know that you had reached the point in the evening when you knew you wouldn’t release. Please do that again, if you are able. Of course, ideally that will not be necessary again! :)

• Cam says:

When decisions do finally come out will the people who have recieved scholarships be notified at the same time?

• Admit It! says:

@Wondering, we agree. Better to give yourself the flexibility to release when ready than to set a hard and fast date/time. We will do our best to keep people posted as we know what’s what.

@Cam, those who have received scholarships, for the most part, already know that. There will be a few additional awarded. Those are not in the emails, just in the mailed letter. Those who are admitted will receive financial aid information (if that’s what you’re asking about) will be emailed to admitted students 7-10 days after decisions are released.

• curious says:

When does everyone (as in the people working in admissions dept.) know when decisions are ready to come out? Is there a to do list and then everyone realizes everything is done?

• Cam says:

Thank you sooo much! This blog is so helpful because I had been searching and searching for answers to questions and couldn’t find any anywhere! Last question: will people who are admitted receive their letters before the others?

• Admit It! says:

@Curious, there are a lot of parts working simultaneously so that’s hard to say. But basically, we all check in periodically to see if we’re progressing and where exactly we are in the process. Even once we decide we’re done, it still takes a few hours to load the emails and then a few more hours to launch them all.

• Future Alum says:

We’ve all reverted back to the days of “are we there yet.”! Hopefully, we’re not distracting the driver!

• Admit It! says:

@Cam, everyone receives a decision email on the same night. Only those who are admitted will receive an actual follow-up letter. The Decisions, Decisions Blog will explain this in detail.

@Future Alum, good point! And at least now they do come in email instead of the uncertainty of waiting for the mail.

• Worried says:

Do you think you can rule out tonight for releasd yet, or are you not sure yet, this early in the evening?

• Admit It! says:

@Worried, to be consistent we’ll try to give updates during the early evening each day instead of throughout the day if that’s cool.

• George says:

Is it early evening yet? Is it, huh, is it, is it, huh
    ???

• George says:

Sorry. I was away at my happy place when I posted the last message, but I’m back now.

• Aminatta says:

Hello, I am admitted student, and I was wondering, if we were not chosen for any of the merit scholarships based on grades, are there any scholarships available once enrolled, based on that GPA, #fearsofcollegedebt

• Worried says:

They’re releasing now…

• Nervous wreck says:

How do you know they are releasing?

• Worried says:

I got a decision in my email, and it wasn’t good. :(

• Nervous wreck says:

So sorry to hear that.

• Mom says:

Just heard..not good news. Have a very upset daughter.

• Disappointed in NY says:

Same here, we have a very disappointed son,

• Kaitlyn says:

I didn’t get in either. I wanted to go here more than anything but unfortunately I wasn’t competitive enough. It was expected but still disappointing. Trying to stay positive and will definitely try to transfer later! :)

• Admit It! says:

You all beat us to the punch. The Decisions, Decisions blog will be up momentarily. We always like to make sure the server is working and in fact sending emails before we launch the blog.

@Curious, Mom, Disappointed in NY and Kaitlyn, we are so sorry the news isn’t better. Please know that you all are amazing students and individuals and we’re sorry the competitive nature of our pool doesn’t allow us to make more offers of admission. We wish you all the best with the conclusion of your college search process.

• Admit It! says:

@Aminatta, we’re assuming you were admitted ED and then did not end up as a Monroe, 1693 or W&M Scholar. Assuming that’s the case, then there are small scholarships here and there offered by individual departments and such for students but there are no large awards for enrolled students. Did you apply for financial aid?

• Mwilliams says:

Do you know how many deferred applicants were accepted? I tried so hard to increase my chances by raising my SAT scores by 70 points and unfortunately it wasn’t enough. I would love to know this information.
    Thanks

• Sarah says:

I still haven’t received an email. Should I wait a little longer or do I need to call the school?

• anxious! says:

I haven’t gotten an email yet!!! I’m sooo nervous!! I love the school

• Admit It! says:

@Mwilliams, it’s a very small handful of deferred students who are admitted. Unfortunately the competition only gets more intense as thousands of additional applicants enter the pool. We know how much ED students wanted to attend W&M and we’re sorry that the outcome cannot be more positive.

@Sarah and @anxious, it will take several hours for all emails to launch so please be patient. The Decisions, Decisions blog will be posted shortly and will explain more. Our phones are off so we can concentrate on this effort so we won’t be available by phone until tomorrow.

• George says:

IN!!!!!!!!

• Mom says:

Congrats George!