William and Mary

W&M Blogs

Claire Gillespie
Claire Gillespie

About  Posts

Hometown: Johnsburg, IL
Class of 2016
Major: English

Thoughts from the Aiport

December 20, 2012 by

A little boy just walked by and, upon viewing the group of tables I am sitting at, said, “Why are all these people eating in such a busy airport?”

His father smiled.

In about an hour, I will board my flight home to Chicago, although I have a feeling it will be delayed by the snow storm coming later this evening.

My last blog wished everyone a happy holidays, which I still wish, but I would like to share some of my favorite moments from the last two weeks of finals.

On Thursday evening, two friends and I went to the dock at Lake Matoaka to see the Geminid meteor shower. Between 11 p.m. and midnight, we saw about twenty shooting stars. It looked like the sky was winking at us as the stars fell. What an incredible experience! Of course some of our wishes were hopes that our finals would go well.

On my first big day of tests, my roommate and I both had exams at 9 a.m. We had collectively set over four different alarms to go off multiple times between 7:30 and 8:00, but what woke us up was our friend’s knock on the door at 8:10. Which was very scary. Luckily, one of the nice things about William & Mary is that people look out for each other – and our friends continue to knock on our door and make sure we are up when we have tests on the same day.

Another beautiful moment was the Yule Log Ceremony. I don’t know what it is about President Reveley dressing up as Santa Claus and reading How the Grinch Stole Christmas to a bunch of 18 to 22 year-olds, but everyone in the Wren Courtyard had goofy, if reluctant, smiles. After the ceremony, we got hot cider and cookies and took a sprig of holly with berries and threw it in with the Yule Log, to figuratively burn all the worries of the year away.

Finishing my last test yesterday (and turning in my paper) was accompanied by a final happy dance and an evening trip to Colonial Williamsburg for dinner with friends from my dorm. After looking longingly at all the nice restaurants, we determined they were too much money and went to get sandwiches. And celebrated the end of finals with several games of backgammon (which is one of my favorite games on the universe – I am slowly teaching everyone in my dorm how to play).

Happy holidays and, if you are in the Midwest, enjoy the snow!

Comments are currently closed. Comments are closed on all posts older than one year, and for those in our archive.