William and Mary

W&M Blogs

Elizabeth Miller
Elizabeth Miller '11

About  Posts

Hometown: Charlottesville, VA
Major: Women's Studies / Minor: Sociology
Currently: Coordinator for Community Engagement, Office of Community Engagement

Ode to the Sociology Department

November 10, 2011 by

As I encounter questions and challenges in my life, more often than not it is my sociological toolkit that I reach into to examine and address them.  Sociology provides the lens through which I view and understand my life, and I am able to utilize this lens because of the education and development I gained in the Sociology Department of William and Mary. What I learned in the Sociology Department guides me in the transition from undergraduate to professional staff at the College of William and Mary. As I adjust to my role within The Office of Community Engagement & Scholarship, I consider what I learned about division of labor and status change in a Sociology class. As I discuss representations of race, class, and privilege in my daily anti-poverty work, I build on what I learned in a Sociology class.  As I see my role shift in my family, I remember what I learned in a Sociology class.  As I contemplate the meaning of wealth and how I want to use the wealth I may (or may not) accumulate, I rely on what I learned in a Sociology class.The Sociology classroom experience at William and Mary is the one I think of most often when I am longing to return to my undergraduate academic life because in Sociology classrooms I found myself excited, engaged, and challenged. It is the dialogues I engaged in in Sociology that led me to question the framework I was just developing, and through that questioning my framework became stronger and more effective. In the Sociology Department I found professors eager to provide me as much knowledge as I could drink in and then press me to absorb more because they had so much to teach me. I spent the most time in the office hours of Sociology professors because I always had more questions and enjoyed learning from them. These were people who were dynamic and understood the world in a way that was helpful and productive, so I came to their offices asking questions about so many parts of the world and my life.It was in the Sociology classroom that I made some of my best friends because when you go through a class that is challenging and intriguing you are more likely to turn to your neighbor and say, “Wait, what?” or “How cool is that!” Papers that I wrote in Sociology helped me clarify how to write effectively and how to apply what I know to real issues, skills I continue to use in my professional life. Sociology taught me the big questions I continue to ask.  The sociological toolkit I filled during my years in the Sociology Department of William and Mary is a toolkit I know I will be grateful to have and will be used throughout my life.

Comments are currently closed. Comments are closed on all posts older than one year, and for those in our archive.